Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Breaking Free


I've been thinking more about what I could add to my life and what needs replacing It could be a long list, but this is what immediately comes to mind:

  • Replace some of the mindless time spent on the computer with painting - something I'm not great at, but love to do. For some reason I don't do it anymore.
  • Add more water. I'm still struggling to make that a habit, but I'm working on that in a new way. (More on that later.)
  • Add more fruits and vegetables.
  • Add more sleep.
  • Add vitamins.
  • Replace negative self-talk with self respect and the truth.
  • Add more Jesus. I don't know why I'm running from him right now when he's been so good for me in the past. I know I need him, but I ignore him.
  • Add some exercise.
  • Replace a few take out and fast food meals with meals cooked at home.
  • Add a little routine, some structure to my day, or I should say, replace my current routine with one that works better for me.
  • More sex. (Sorry, if that offends, but I love my husband, and this area of our marriage suffers because of my depression.)
These are some of the areas that I think need the most immediate attention.

I wonder if I'm even capable of breaking out of this cycle of chronic depression. I've had people, one a counselor I was seeing, tell me that maybe I'm one of those people who needs to be on medication for the rest of my life, but I can't or won't accept that as truth. I believe if I could just change some of my thought and behavior patterns that the brain chemistry would follow, and I could break out of this rut. It's my hope anyway.

So, how am I challenging myself this week? Well, a friend of mine, who faces similar challenges, and I are participating together in a two week challenge. Every day for the next two weeks we are going to, 1) eat breakfast, 2) drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, and 3) exercise in some way for 5 consecutive minutes.

These are very small requirements, I realize, but still very challenging for me, especially the "every day" part. Consistency is not something I've ever had a handle on.

At the end of two weeks, if we are both successful, we're going to reward ourselves somehow; a movie, a road trip, a visit to a museum, or something along those lines. It's day two of our challenge. I've had my breakfast, and I'm sitting here with a big glass of ice water. Now maybe I'll go slide up and down the hallway in my fluffy socks for 5 minutes!

7 comments:

  1. This is a great list. You are wise to believe that you don't have to be medicated for the rest of your life. You have all that you need within you to move out of your depression. This list is a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea, very similar to my new routine in the desire to overcome my trauma and depression. Very small steps, attainable, a very small new routine executed with AWARENESS. One hour at time. One day at time. Many small steps making a milestone. Besides if you truly and genuinely believe you dont want to be on medication for all your life, you most probably going to achieve that anyway, because the mindset it their, steps do follow now - on the way to a milestone, right. You go, girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. your words, "I wonder if I'm even capable of breaking out of this cycle of chronic depression. I've had people, one a counselor I was seeing, tell me that maybe I'm one of those people who needs to be on medication for the rest of my life," touched me. I was told that too....Don't believe it. I take no meds, haven't for a long time....and feel pretty good...just average ups and downs of life. And yes yes yes... you are capable of beating the depresion. If I can...you can. Hang onto hope Beth....and stay strong. sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Passing by to show some love, Wonder how you are doing. I never will be Picasso either but I wont give up painting anymore. Hugs from Munich

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, love your post! I have been 'sad' most of my life, many times swinging into very deep depression that I would not even let on to anyone. I refuse now to take any meds. Want to be healed the natural way. Trying and I mean really trying to eat, sleep better, but it is hard when you are going through your journey and dealing with crap. Appreciate the post very much. Blessings to you dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all, I appreciate your comments very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic post and honesty. Bravo. How is the consistency? You can do it!

    ReplyDelete