Friday, February 5, 2010

Encouraged


I think it is time to do something about my weight. Being overweight is probably the single most depressing thing in my life, or is it just a symptom of being depressed? I think, like so many other things, it is a symptom that becomes one of the causes. In any case, for my health, for my peace of mind, for my self esteem I need to get serious about losing some weight.

I've been dabbling in weight loss for a while now, being careful with what I eat for a day or two and then running right back into the arms of potato chips - my lover or some cheesy gourmet dish and a couple glasses of wine - my other lover. Each indulgence leads to a string of them, and then I feel hopeless again.

I've been feeling differently lately. More ready, I guess, to stick with it, do what has to be done. A few weeks ago I checked out several books on CD, thinking I would listen to them while I walk on the treadmill, but a couple of days ago I took them back to the library. Last night I was wishing I had hung onto them because I really wanted to start walking today.

I figured I'd tackle the drudgery of walking with nothing to occupy my mind except my own self defeating thoughts. Then this morning I was driving my kids to school, and one of the books on CD slid out from under the passenger seat of my car. It must have fallen out of my library bag and never got returned. It's a small thing, but it was like a gift, an encouragement. So, I guess I'll go fire up the ol' treadmill and take a walk.

4 comments:

  1. it always amazes me how so many women struggle with weight issues and just not feeling good enough unless they're a specific size. I think you are awesome. I think you're a gift whatever size you're at. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just a matter of my appearance, although I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a big part of it, but at this weight I experience sleep apnea, shortness of breath, fatigue, higher blood pressure, and I'm worried about developing type II diabetes. At this age I've given up a lot of my vanity, but for my health I want to lose weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The key to any change is to want to make the change and then in the case of living a more healthy life deciding to make a life change not just to diet or exercise. We must choose to change fully in our thoughts, our words and our actions and know that this change is not temporary and knowing that we are not going to "reward" ourselves with the very things we are not eating, doing when we make some progress. THe key is is to make a life change. One must be passionate to truly make the change stick.

    ReplyDelete